Air Mix actuator - Quick fix?

Have a mechanical and/or electrical problem or question, post it here.

Air Mix actuator - Quick fix?

Postby Rocket 98 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:09 am

I learned the hard way that you are supposed to have the climate control turned off when you take out the battery. Now I get a flashing temperature display and no hot air.

Is there a quick and easy way to at least get warm air blowing until I have the time/money to get things working right?

Thanks!
2010 Chrysler 300C - Inferno Red on Black - 360 hp, driven through the proper wheels.

2004 Bonneville GXP -History

95 Oldsmobile 98. 180 degree thermostat. Tru-Cool tranny cooler. Cross Lace wheels. FE3 springs. Urethane End Links. Magnaflow Cat 94006. CAI. Ported and polished LIM. MSD Coils.
Gone to a new home. But never forgotten.

Rocket 98
Unmodable

Year and Trim: 2010 300C

Re: Air Mix actuator - Quick fix?

Postby BillBoost37 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:34 am

Sure is.. On the sister car Bonneville there is a hole behind the glovebox that allows you to see the rod/actuator. Pop the rod off and position it to heat. Then stick something in there to hold it. That'll get you buy for a time while you purchase an actuator. :Thumbs

BTW, from what I've seen/read turning it off, doesn't always fix the issue. The reason behind this is because by default when you reconnect the car the HVAC is on. Either way it knows it's been disconnected and when it goes back through it's learning sweep, if that gear is brittle...it's going to crack.
tallbump wrote:I've got plenty of wood to get the job done

BillBoost37
Elmer Fudd

Year and Trim: 97 SSEi

Postby Rocket 98 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:20 am

BillBoost37 wrote:Sure is.. On the sister car Bonneville there is a hole behind the glovebox that allows you to see the rod/actuator. Pop the rod off and position it to heat. Then stick something in there to hold it. That'll get you buy for a time while you purchase an actuator. :Thumbs

BTW, from what I've seen/read turning it off, doesn't always fix the issue. The reason behind this is because by default when you reconnect the car the HVAC is on. Either way it knows it's been disconnected and when it goes back through it's learning sweep, if that gear is brittle...it's going to crack.

Cool.
Thanks Bill.
What kind of something should I put to hold it? Twist tie? Pair of vice grips? :)

I understand it is a crap job to do to fix it. Just how crappy is it?
2010 Chrysler 300C - Inferno Red on Black - 360 hp, driven through the proper wheels.

95 Oldsmobile 98. 180 degree thermostat. Tru-Cool tranny cooler. Cross Lace wheels. FE3 springs. Urethane End Links. Magnaflow Cat 94006. CAI. Ported and polished LIM. MSD Coils.

Rocket 98
Unmodable

Postby BillBoost37 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:46 am

It's not a bad job at all. I might be biased because i've done enough of them, but I don't feel it's a horrible job.

Arm contortioning exercises help.

I find that dropping the BCM and it's bracket (maybe) help. You'll have a couple scuffs, but it's workable.

BillBoost37
Elmer Fudd

Postby Rocket 98 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:08 am

Oh, and how do I get the glovebox out? :oops:

Rocket 98
Unmodable

Postby BillBoost37 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:37 pm

Uh..remove the screws...

BillBoost37
Elmer Fudd

Postby Rocket 98 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:05 am

BillBoost37 wrote:Uh..remove the screws...

That easy, huh?

:bonk:

Rocket 98
Unmodable

Postby BillBoost37 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:16 am

yeah, pretty much. I'd give you a better run, but don't know if the LEssssEssss is the same or not. It's like 4-5 screws though.

Then you can peed through the hole. Yeah, peek

BillBoost37
Elmer Fudd

Postby Rocket 98 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:30 am

BillBoost37 wrote:yeah, pretty much. I'd give you a better run, but don't know if the LEssssEssss is the same or not. It's like 4-5 screws though.

Then you can peed through the hole. Yeah, peek

So if I come back and say I peed through the hole and it still does not work, that is not very helpful?

Rocket 98
Unmodable

Postby BillBoost37 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:41 am

bout as helpful as my post about pulling out screws. :Thumbs

Swap it out and you'll be happy.

BillBoost37
Elmer Fudd

Postby Popatim » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:20 pm

Does the LSS have dual zone climate control?
Intense PCM & relocation tray, Fenderwell cold air Intake Kit, and 3.4 pulley
Harland Sharp 1.9 roller rockers, LS6 Springs, and reusable bolts.
Hulkspeed ceramic coated ported exhaust manifolds.
Hawk HPS brake pads, ES endlinks and bushings.
Popatim

Year and Trim: I
Year and Trim #2: Love
Year and Trim #3: Cheesecake

Postby Rocket 98 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:59 pm

Popatim wrote:Does the LSS have dual zone climate control?

yup, it sure does!

Rocket 98
Unmodable

Postby Popatim » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:09 pm

it will not be in the same place as the bonnevilles then, they never got Dual zone.

Pop open your glovebox, on the left side you see a rubber 'tab' that keeps the door from opening further. Pull it in and flop the door all the way open once you've emptied the glovebox. Look straight in and up you should see the module there near the top, the metal rod and white platic tab & arm would be what to look for. Take a pic and post it if you want me to confirm. You can replace it without any futher disassmbly of the dash but you'll need a short 1/4" socket and drive to get to the 2 screws and pretty much be working by feel. I pulled 5 units out of the yard looking for a good one so I got pretty good at it. LoL

All this is if its tha same as in my 96 olds and if I remember correctly too. Ahh the joys of aging. :lol:

ps- if you're looking for a quick fix, just disconnect the plastic tab locking hte metal arm to the plastic arm of the module and lift the matal arm off. start the (already warmed up) car and adjust the metal arm so you have heat. Come spring adjust it the other way for 'no heat' :lol:

I think I did a write up on this on old BC. <goes off to look>

Heres the writup i did back then. :Thumbs

The Magnificent Popa Tim wrote:The procedure to replace the airmix actuator in an (1991-1996) Olds 98 and some 88* are as follows

1: empty the glovebove
2: Remove glovebox if you want by removing the 4 screws securing glovebox to the dash frame at the bottom of the glovebox. They are either 5.5mm or Phillips head screws.
3: Remove the module above the airmix actuator by removing the one 6mm screw, slide it towards you and position out of the way to the right. Theres no need to disconnect the wires.
(This will give you enough room to get a small 1/4" ratchet onto the Airmix Actuator screws without much problems.)
4: pop the airlix lever off at the threaded end of the rod.
5: remove the two 5.5mm screws. The second one is on the far side of the actuator almost directly across from the one you can see. Feel along the rear side until you find the circular recessed area; the screw will be in there.
6: Disconnect the electrical connector.

Installation is the opposite of removal. Be sure to calibrate before connecting the threaded rod.
Intense PCM & relocation tray, Fenderwell cold air Intake Kit, and 3.4 pulley
Harland Sharp 1.9 roller rockers, LS6 Springs, and reusable bolts.
Hulkspeed ceramic coated ported exhaust manifolds.
Hawk HPS brake pads, ES endlinks and bushings.
Popatim

Year and Trim: I
Year and Trim #2: Love
Year and Trim #3: Cheesecake

Postby Rocket 98 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:58 pm

Brilliant!
Thanks a lot. Will have a look tomorrow.

Rocket 98
Unmodable

Postby rp2170 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:01 am

to BillBoost37: How do you change the air actuator on 1999 Bonneville without removing dash. Please let me know.

Thanks,
Rob
rp2170
What is a car?

Year and Trim: 1999 Bonneville

Return to Mechanical & Electrical